Bed Bugs in the Home
- Adult bed bugs are reddish brown in color.
- They are 5-7 mm in length.
- They can be found anywhere, but most commonly found in bedding, mattresses and bed frames.
- Most active at night
- Dark spots on mattress
- Bites that appear with a red bump, itch, and form a straight line along a blood vessel.
- Fecal matter and eggs may also be present.
Bed Bug Control
- Inspect bedding before sleeping concentrating on the folds of the mattress.
- Inspect mattress, nightstand and headboard.
- Once bed bugs have been detected consideration to discard the mattress should be taken. The bed should be taken apart so treatment can be performed.
- The carpet area should be treated with a liquid insecticide mixed with an insect growth regulator.
- The bed frame and night stands should also be treated.
- Light sockets and electrical covers should be removed and dusted with an insecticide dust.
- If any bedding is to be kept it should be treated with Steri-fab prior to being placed back on the bed.