- Honey bees are about ½” to 5/8” in length.
- They are orange with black stripes.
- They produce honey which feeds the young and old bees.
- All workers in the colony are female and males are only produced when egg laying is needed.
- They are social insects and defend their colony by stinging anything that is a threat.
- Often when colonies become too large the single queen will produce a new queen and cast her out to start a new colony. This is referred to as a bee “swarm”.
- Each nest may be used for many years and colonies of over 20 years are not uncommon.
- Swat Pest works with local Bee Handlers to preserve as many colonies as we can. If you see a swarm of Honey Bees please call us to address the situation immediately.