Monday, April 9th, 2012 by Brandon Runyon
Part 4 in a 4 week series on ants
Spring is the season ants are most likely to infest houses in Evansville, Indiana and western Kentucky. There are steps you can take to reduce your risk of an infestation.
- Keep foods in sealed containers. Don’t leave open food out to tempt them.
- Keep all countertops and tables wiped down and clean.
- Clean ant trails with soapy water or detergent.
- Caulk openings around the home. Seal all cracks and crevices.
- Keep wood piles away from the home.
- Fix leaky roofs or plumbing.
- Carefully monitor landscape beds with wood chips and weed barriers.
- Trim trees and bushes so the branches don’t touch the house or building.
- Paint or seal all exposed wood construction.
- If trees are cut or die, remove the dead stumps from your property.
These steps will reduce the risk of ants and also minimize potential ant infestations.
Week 1: Attack of the Super Ant Colonies